[摘要]
57. He said he wouldnt try anything, but come on....
他说他不会做任何事,但说归说...
I wouldnt come on to you. 是(我不会逼迫你的)之意.
I wouldnt do anything funny. 是(我不会乱来的).
此处的 but com...
57. He said he wouldnt try anything, but come on....
他说他不会做任何事,但说归说...
I wouldnt come on to you. 是(我不会逼迫你的)之意.
I wouldnt do anything funny. 是(我不会乱来的).
此处的 but come one 是接近于"够了,够了",也可用 Give me a break.
含义相似. I can read you like a book. 是(我深知你心)之意.
58. We are kind of stuck in a rut.
我们有点陷入固定(乏味)的生活方式.
rut 是"车痕;常规;惯例". be/get stuck in a rut 是"陷于同一种模式,
惯例"之意. 与 be/get in the same old routine. 同义.
(是该分手的时候了)是说 Time to call it quits.
59. I wonder if theres an easy way to break up and still be friends.
我在想有没有既能分手又能彼此做朋友的简便方法.
"分手"可说 break up 或split up, 如: She broke up with him.
(她和他分手了). 想要彻底分手时,可以说 Lets not make it messy.
(我们不要拖泥带水的分手.). 也可以说 Lets make a clean break.
(让我们彻底的分手.)
60. Isnt that something how he left me after four years?
交往了4年之后,他这样离开我不是太过分了吗?
Isnt that something...? 是"...不是太过分了吗?"
俗语说 He dumped/dropped me. 是(他甩了我)的意思.
He turned me down. 则是(他拒绝了我).
61. I pretend to give him the cold shoulder.
我故意假装冷落他.
give someone the cold shoulder 是"冷落某人"之意,此处的 shoulder是由从前对讨厌的客人露出肩膀,表示厌恶引申来的.
cold turkey 是指"冷漠的人".
62. I played the field. 和很多异性交往.
相反的,如果"只和某一特定对象交往"时,则说:go steady.
I fly into a rage. 很生气
rage 是"盛怒"之意. fly into raptures 是"兴高采烈".
I assume a defiant attitude. 采取倨傲的态度.
63. I suggest we make a clean break.
我建议我们干干净净的分手吧!
夫妻或情侣要分手时,也可以用 break up 表示.
64. Being a tutor for slow learners is really a drag.
身为反映迟钝学生的家庭教师真累人.
Being....是用动名词为主语的句型. tutor 是"家庭教师,(英国)大学的导师".
slow learner 是"反映迟钝的学生", drag 是"累赘"之意. 反过来说 Being a tutor for quick learners is duck soup/a soft job. 是(作为头脑灵敏学生的家庭教师真情松).
65. That guy has connections in lots of shady jobs.
那家伙在很多不正经的工作方面都有人际关系.
此处的connections 是指"关系,门路,社会关系"等义.
shady 是"可疑的". He has powerful connections in the
publishing world 是(他在出版界有强而有力的社会关系).
After all, connections talk. 是(终究还是有门路才行的通).
66. Yeah, working conditions matter, but I want a job where
therere lots of babes.
是啊,虽然工作条件很重要,但我想要在有很多侨妞的地方工作.
Yeah 是 yes 的口语说法. Yeah....是自言自语的口气, 表示
"虽然...."之意. working conditions 是"工作条件".
此处的 matter 做动词用,表示"非常重要"之意.
67. Uh-oh, this looks like an underworld operation.
哎呀!这地方看起来象是黑道经营的场所.
this (=this place) 是"这里,此处"的意思. underworld 指黑社会.
operation 是"事业,经营". Id better wash my hands of the
underworld and go straight as soon as possible. 是(我最好尽早改邪归正).